Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The joys of working with people that aren't used to change!

I strongly believe and have a passion for student involvement! If you really want to get something out of it, you really have to put something into it. Some of my best experiences at BYU-Idaho come from me being involved in student activities. There was so much going on and everyone knew about it. Coming here to Dixie State College was like a day and night difference. The spirit is different, campus isn’t alive, there doesn’t seem to be much going on, and the more I talked to people the less aware they are about student activities. Sometimes I wonder if my vision is too big, if my dreams are too high. Talking to the Vice President of Student Services today, sure made me feel like that. I can see where he’s coming from that he just purchased a new program that would organize campus online and I come to him with an idea that I’m actually doing something about; but why throw it all on me, when I’m the one coming to him with an organizational idea that is actual being praised by all others with “authority.” I felt like a missionary all over again, at someone’s door being completely disrespected and unheard. My intentions are to improve the college and programs, assisting in the growth here. He said I was completely overstepping my boundaries and selfishly coming up with something that would improve my program, and he was appalled that I would come into “his area” and blindside him with my ideas. I’m still trying to see where exactly he was coming from. He said that he doesn’t just go to the English department and re-vamp their programs and he doesn’t tell the army where they should aim their cannons. If this man would just take a step back and see how much of a good thing this could be for the college. So I asked him what I could have done better and after his outrageous scenarios, came to the conclusion that I didn’t go through the proper channels. He said it seemed like a great idea and if only I would have talked to him first…but he did want me to know that he isn’t power hungry. Pretty sure that’s why I stopped by his office in the first place…to talk to him about an idea.

10 comments:

Mrs. Webb said...

Oh, dear. I'm sorry Rachel. Hang in there! You can DO IT!

Rachel M. said...

Hey thanks! One day at a time. At least my boss backs me up!

Melerella said...

that's ridiculous and very unprofessional of him to say those things to you as if you were a child. I think you need to be there to stir some things up i say! You can do everything that you set out to do if it's in the lord's plan, so don't be discouraged!

Kyle and Kim said...

Remember things that are worth much are very hard! Still no excuse for that dude's outlandish behavior. Let me at him! haha. You're doing great things and he's probably feeling a bit outdone by a younger cuter you, so way to go! Love ya!

SARA said...

Don't give up, Ra-chel!! I'm so proud of you. That's messed up that he is being so annoying about it. Stick it out though--your ideas are incredible and they can definitely benefit from them!

Rachel M. said...

You guys are so incredible!!! Thanks so much!! I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to be meeting with him again next week and boss has a few things to say to him too...yeah!! Insane though, right? How seriously acts like that? WOW!! I'm still trying to figure it out.

Rachel M. said...

Holy misspelled words... I meant to say my boss and who seriously acts like that. Oh well.

Kaitlyn Wadsworth said...

im so going to kick him.... uggg little weiner i will hurt you dont mess with my rachel... why i outta. punk monkeey i will KIIILLL YOU!!!!

Kyle and Kim said...

Whoa, don't mess with Kaitlyn! I think New York City is the perfect place for her, lol!

Rachel M. said...

I just love my friends!